Dive into the depths of Krabi’s clear waters for an otherworldly experience. The marine life here comprises everything from reef fish and corals to sharks and sea snakes as well.
What’s So Awesome About It
Krabi’s geographical location makes it a great spot for scuba diving. The isolated islands together offer a brilliant coastline teeming with varied sea creatures in the warm, calm waters. Certain areas fall under the marine park boundaries, so the creatures you see will all be in an untouched, natural habitat. The water sits at a comfortable temperature all year.
There are dedicated spots for newbie, intermediate, and expert divers, and there really is no dearth of good dive spots around the island. Popular sites like King Cruiser Wreck, Anemone Reef, and Shark Point take you into a whole new world that you’re unlikely to ever forget.
What’s The Catch
If you are a weak swimmer, have breathing issues or tend to panic underwater, this may not be ideal for you. You will need to practice your breathing before you venture in, or stay at a spot near the shore. Those uncomfortable with diving can try snorkelling instead. It’s a similar experience but without the heavy gear.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Always dive with a certified school so you know you’re in safe hands.
- Ao Nang and Railay are the best areas for scuba diving, so it’s best to base yourself around these areas on your visit.
- Wear sunscreen and the appropriate gear that the diving instructor gives you. It’s designed to help you swim comfortably underwater.
- Remember that you shouldn’t fly for at least 18-20 hours after you go diving. Book your flights accordingly.
- If you’re a fresher, the trainer will give you a short practice session on how to breathe correctly. Follow the instructions precisely.
- Don’t venture into areas outside of your dive site on your own. Some sites that are deep in the ocean have stronger currents, and unless you’re well trained, this could be dangerous.
Where You Can Book it From
Sawasdee Divers, Ao Nang
The Dive, Ao Nang
Aqua Vision, Krabi Town and Ao Nang
Andaman Dive Adventure, Koh Lanta
Although diving is possible all year round, the months from February to May have the highest visibility. Avoid the heavy monsoon months of September and October when visibility an
The Free Trip Planning App for Thailand!
If you want to avoid reading hundreds of articles like these to plan your trip, download Ithaka.
It is a fun way to discover Thailand and plan your entire trip by talking to someone who’s already been there and done that!
From helping you discover the coolest destinations to recommending activities, your travel buddy on Ithaka will help you plan your entire trip.
Download the App Now: